The following selection appeared in Chicken Soup for the Soul’s, Tough Times, Tough People. Hope is a Choice was inspired by a Katrina evacuee that I met over the phone. I hope you are inspired by her endurance and faith as much as I am.
Prayer: Dear Lord, when the storms of life rage all around me, help me to remember that You are able to keep me afloat. No matter what the circumstances, You promise to work all things for my good. I pray that I will always make the choice to put my hope in You. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.
Scriptures to Ponder:
- You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word (Psalm 119:114).
- Sustain me according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed (Psalm 119:116).
- Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God (Psalm 43:5).
- Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the LORD (Psalm 31:24).
- There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off (Proverbs 23:18).
Questions to Ponder:
- Which scripture above is most encouraging to you? Why?
- What has been your most difficult challenge lately?
- Spiritual and Emotional Issues
- How would you rate your forcast of hope?
- Mostly sunny
- Partly Cloudy
- 100% chance of rain
- How has the Lord been faithful to you in the past when you faced a difficult situation?
- How can you apply his past faithfulness to your future restoration?